Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cliché Consumer


(Cabasco cousins groovin' to their products)

By default, I’m aware that as a citizen of ‘merica, we are all conditioned and forced to be daily consumers. Whether it be toilet paper, a bottle of wine, your favorite shoes, or random household items, we have no choice on the weekly (sometimes on the daily) to purchase some kind of product. I consider myself a minimalist when it comes to common consumption of products. I don’t enjoy shopping, I rarely buy new clothes, and it’s rare that you’ll find me in a state of excitement regarding the release of some new and improved product (minus camera equipment/accessories- okay, so I just contradicted myself.) In all honesty, I’d prefer to spend any extra mula I may have on my family, traveling, and/or paying our crews while shooting stills or flicks.

So, what I just stated above must be thrown out the window- temporarily, that is. Most folks close to me know that I’m a music FREAK. I love good music and listening to good music feeds my soul as much as good food. But this music freak has been in the absence of the item that everyone and their mama seem to have...an ipod.

So for the past fifteen years, I’ve been that chick with the discman while lugging around a stack of random CD’s.

Well, time can stop right now! Because my ass just got excited about a consumer product! I’m going straight to left-wing hell, I know! Jay got an iphone (yah, whatever, who needs a $600 dollar phone?) So the ipod that was given to him by Will Smith, has now been passed to muahhh. I don’t care if it’s a hand-me-down b/c this item has a pretty decent hand-me-down history.

Yikes! I’m super duper thankful right now and I feel like I’ve eaten the best meal in the world…but I haven’t! I just pimped out my ipod. Hooty hoo!!!

And on the rotation playlist as I type:
- Peter Bjorn and John’s “Writer’s Block”
- Soundtrack to “A Bronx Tale”
- Brazilian Girls
- Nina Simone
- Slum Village’s “Fantastic Vol 2”
- Stevie Wonder
- Immortal Technique
- Aceyalone
- The Variations
- Earth, Wind and Fire
- Julieta Venegas
- Tribe Called Quest’s “Low End Theory”
- J Dilla Donuts
- Soundtrack to Hable Con Ella
- Quantic
- Mos Def
- Gza' "Legend of the Liquid Sword"
- Little Brother
- Dead Prez

And much more to come…woot woo!!!! I’m so excited, you don’t understand! Me having an ipod is the equivalent to a girly girl being proposed to by her dream man!
And I’m not exaggerating!

It’s the simple things, I tell you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home