Sunday, December 04, 2005

you can't take me anywhere

I suppose it’s good to have one of those really embarrassing moments in public. I haven’t had one in a while. This one would have to go on my top 10 list of my most embarrassing moments.

Last night we went to Temi’s opening of his art show and I felt like a proud parent watching their child graduate. Temi lives below Tim, Aurora and I. I feel fortunate to live amongst such creative company- a visual artist, another filmmaker and an architect. Everyone’s creative energy is contagious. There were several occasions when Tim and I would pull up into our driveway and there Temi would be, calling us to come in, saying, “Pssst, come here, check this out” eager to show us his work.

one of temi's afrobuddha sculptures

One of Temi’s pieces included different colored teddy bears made out of barbed wire. As I was attempting to take a picture of the whole room at the gallery, I accidentally backed up into one of the teddy bears. The teddy bear fell over, stuck to my sweater, and as I attempted to ‘save’ the piece from falling to the ground, I dropped my camera in the process. SPLAT. There went the lens, the flash cover, the teddy bear stuck to my sweater and all eyes on my clumsy ass. At a first glance, the crowd appeared to be your typical LA/Silverlake ‘too cool for school’ type of crowd. So naturally, my first reaction was, “Can no one take me anywhere?” A very humbling moment I must admit.

“No more wine for Mia!” exclaimed Tim.
“You break you buy,” Temi replied laughing.
“Can I get a friendly neighbor muse discount,” I said, still embarrassed.
“Is your camera okay?” Jim asked concerned.

I think a majority of the witnesses wanted to laugh and other people gave me that 'I’m glad that wasn’t me' look.

The bartender then helped me remove the barbed wire teddy bear that was still stuck to my sweater and much to my surprise, I looked down at my hand, which appeared to be bleeding from the wire. Natalie immediately said, “You need rubbing alcohol.” She came back a minute later with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs in hand. Where did she pull that from? Did she just keep this in her purse? (Such a mom.)

As we left, my initial assumption of the crowd was proved wrong (love it when that happens) as several strangers came up to me asking if my camera was okay. How nice of them?


the culprits: barb wire teddy bears


fixing the small holes in my hand

After the show, we had our first ‘housewarming’ party. We haven’t had one even though we’ve been here since the summer. Homies whom I didn’t expect to show up did which is always a nice surprise.

We woke up to another nice surprise this morning as well. The house wasn’t terribly dirty and nothing was missing. We had some respectful guests last night- nice! I hope everyone enjoyed themselves- I sure did as I woke up in bad need of Gatorade this morning.


WENDY & EVAN: look at these vain mu'fo's. JIM & MICHAEL: caught in the act of tsmis.


GREGORY & I: ultimate photo whores. MILLIE & GREGORY: ultimate photo whores.


i can't think of a heading for these.

I’m not sure if there is a conclusion to this entry except for how embarrassing moments are humbling and in this case, lead to good times.

I love good times.

2 Comments:

Blogger mjane said...

you crack me up, woman! happy housewarming!!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

*thunk*

ok, seriously. i just laughed my *ss off... ;)

(still pregnant tho.)

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home