last week-in-review
I was in Sacramento last week for retreat number two of the WPI. The Women's Foundation of California has this legislation leadership program for women guiding them through the legislation process. The fellows of the program are dvided into policy teams and have to choose a project and (try to) push it through the legislation process.
My 'policy team' will be working on implementation of a bill that recently passed giving prenatal care to pregnant women in prison (at least it says it should.) We met with a bunch of Senator's staff who supported the bill as well as the acting director for CDCR (CA State Prison System- CDCR- their new acronym. Supposedly they're trying to 'rehabilitate' folks now...hmmmm.) Our 'policy team' is in a position to create serious social and institutional change within the state's prison system. This is some serious sh*#- negotiating with legislators and the CDCR is scary, exciting, enlightening, and weeeeeiiiirrd at the same time.
I mean, there are (approx) 47,691 women who are incarcerated in the State of California. More than 2/3's of these women are in for non-violent crimes. And approx one in four (1 in 4) women is either pregnant or postpartum when she enters prison. And to top it off, they are not given prenatal care and have a strong possibility of being shackled-handcuffed while in labor. This is crazy!
Here are some pictures of where your tax dollars are going (for those Californians reading this):










I'm learning so much about how messed up this state is and I'm sure it's no different on a federal level...I could go on and on... but I won't for the sake of readers who might not give a shit about this political mumbo jumbo. Well, last thing, what I really appreciated the most is learning specific tools/strategies on how to 'pitch' our issue/policy, how to 'ask' for what you need from a legislator, and how to articulate your issue to the opposition. How would I get a Senator to vote for my bill if I had a minute to pitch it to him/her and happened to in the elevator with him? Hmmm... Well, they schooled us on how to do this! DOPE.
ANYHOO, back to real life. After the retreat in Sac-town, I was happy to have kicked it with miss pregnant woman Shianne. I think I'm still in denial about Shy's pregnancy. At least her and Jim are getting some good practice in with their doggie dog Cody.
Here's Cody (he's stuck):

A picture from a hike Shy, Cody, Jim & I took:

On the familia front, my grandpapi is recovering successfully from his open-heart surgery. Thank goodness he's not dead! (That's what a majority of the familia is thinking, I know.)
photos from grandpapi's recovery:


When I saw Grandpapi not too long ago (after one of his strokes) he was so funny. I was taking pictures of him in the hospital and one of the nurses commented on my documentation saying, "You're making me nervous with that camera!" Grandpapi playfully responded, "It's okay. She's my granddaughter and she's making a movie about me." That I am granddaddeo! So that's why you have to stay strong so you can watch this mu'fucker as soon as Gregorio and I are finished editing.
After a very stressful week, it ended on some very positive notes:
1) We were planning to submit the documentary and script to Tribeca but the deadline is this Friday and that was looking like a no-go. But, thanks to the roomie/homie's recommendations (Auro, Shy & Jane) I was able to get an extension for the Tribeca deadline. WOOOO HOOOO! Yah, for procrasinators!
2) I was venting to Maite two days ago about how I'm overwhelmed with everything. I wrote down everything that was stressing me out including all of my to do's and problems. I then emailed the list to Maite. Twenty (20) minutes later, Maite came back to me with this chart showing what my 'problems were,' 'possible solutions.' and guidance of what I needed to do within the next hour, the next day, and the next week to get all of our work together in time for our deadlines. This woman is AMAZING!
I was so thankful for Maite putting me in check that I wrote this wonderful poem to her.
I think she was pleased:
THANK.
YOU.
MAITE.
I.
LOVE.
YOU.
IF.
I.
WERE.
A.
GUY.
I'D.
TOTALLY.
JOCK.
YOU.
Move over Maya Angelou!
other positive notes...
3) YES, I'm going home for Christmas!
and the last positive note:
4) This Malaysia documentary is finally moving forward!!! Woot woo...so if you don't see me for a while or if I don't return your phonecalls (like I do anyhoo) during the beginning of 2006... that's because we'll be in Malaysia fools! WOOT WOO! We're filming a documentary on some of REACH LA's peer mentors who will be educating some of the youth in Malaysia on HIV/AIDS. WOOT WOO! I'm so excited!
YAH for HIV/AIDS in Malaysia!
Just kidding. I'm just happy.
My 'policy team' will be working on implementation of a bill that recently passed giving prenatal care to pregnant women in prison (at least it says it should.) We met with a bunch of Senator's staff who supported the bill as well as the acting director for CDCR (CA State Prison System- CDCR- their new acronym. Supposedly they're trying to 'rehabilitate' folks now...hmmmm.) Our 'policy team' is in a position to create serious social and institutional change within the state's prison system. This is some serious sh*#- negotiating with legislators and the CDCR is scary, exciting, enlightening, and weeeeeiiiirrd at the same time.
I mean, there are (approx) 47,691 women who are incarcerated in the State of California. More than 2/3's of these women are in for non-violent crimes. And approx one in four (1 in 4) women is either pregnant or postpartum when she enters prison. And to top it off, they are not given prenatal care and have a strong possibility of being shackled-handcuffed while in labor. This is crazy!
Here are some pictures of where your tax dollars are going (for those Californians reading this):










I'm learning so much about how messed up this state is and I'm sure it's no different on a federal level...I could go on and on... but I won't for the sake of readers who might not give a shit about this political mumbo jumbo. Well, last thing, what I really appreciated the most is learning specific tools/strategies on how to 'pitch' our issue/policy, how to 'ask' for what you need from a legislator, and how to articulate your issue to the opposition. How would I get a Senator to vote for my bill if I had a minute to pitch it to him/her and happened to in the elevator with him? Hmmm... Well, they schooled us on how to do this! DOPE.
ANYHOO, back to real life. After the retreat in Sac-town, I was happy to have kicked it with miss pregnant woman Shianne. I think I'm still in denial about Shy's pregnancy. At least her and Jim are getting some good practice in with their doggie dog Cody.
Here's Cody (he's stuck):

A picture from a hike Shy, Cody, Jim & I took:

On the familia front, my grandpapi is recovering successfully from his open-heart surgery. Thank goodness he's not dead! (That's what a majority of the familia is thinking, I know.)
photos from grandpapi's recovery:


When I saw Grandpapi not too long ago (after one of his strokes) he was so funny. I was taking pictures of him in the hospital and one of the nurses commented on my documentation saying, "You're making me nervous with that camera!" Grandpapi playfully responded, "It's okay. She's my granddaughter and she's making a movie about me." That I am granddaddeo! So that's why you have to stay strong so you can watch this mu'fucker as soon as Gregorio and I are finished editing.
After a very stressful week, it ended on some very positive notes:
1) We were planning to submit the documentary and script to Tribeca but the deadline is this Friday and that was looking like a no-go. But, thanks to the roomie/homie's recommendations (Auro, Shy & Jane) I was able to get an extension for the Tribeca deadline. WOOOO HOOOO! Yah, for procrasinators!
2) I was venting to Maite two days ago about how I'm overwhelmed with everything. I wrote down everything that was stressing me out including all of my to do's and problems. I then emailed the list to Maite. Twenty (20) minutes later, Maite came back to me with this chart showing what my 'problems were,' 'possible solutions.' and guidance of what I needed to do within the next hour, the next day, and the next week to get all of our work together in time for our deadlines. This woman is AMAZING!
I was so thankful for Maite putting me in check that I wrote this wonderful poem to her.
I think she was pleased:
THANK.
YOU.
MAITE.
I.
LOVE.
YOU.
IF.
I.
WERE.
A.
GUY.
I'D.
TOTALLY.
JOCK.
YOU.
Move over Maya Angelou!
other positive notes...
3) YES, I'm going home for Christmas!
and the last positive note:
4) This Malaysia documentary is finally moving forward!!! Woot woo...so if you don't see me for a while or if I don't return your phonecalls (like I do anyhoo) during the beginning of 2006... that's because we'll be in Malaysia fools! WOOT WOO! We're filming a documentary on some of REACH LA's peer mentors who will be educating some of the youth in Malaysia on HIV/AIDS. WOOT WOO! I'm so excited!
YAH for HIV/AIDS in Malaysia!
Just kidding. I'm just happy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home