Wednesday, September 21, 2005

i found

a blog that greg had posted while we were in seattle two weeks ago. i bet he thought i wouldn't find it, let alone read it. but i did! he described our days in seattle. it's always interesting to listen to an outsiders perspective.

"Behind a camera I can usually remove myself from the subjects, but today was a different story. I'm in Seattle co-directing a documentary about a family, whom today will celebrate life and death of their son, grandson, cousin, and nephew. A young man who exactly one year today hung himself in his family's rec room.

Before we headed to the cemetery, the family gathered together in front of the TV to watch a slide show of pics of this young man. This young man was also a poet who recorded his words on a small recorder. The mother played the recording of her son reading his words and singing. Beautiful.

Looking through the camera's monitor I was witnessing a family truly celebrating this man. Through laughter and tears they were rejoicing. Beautiful.

At the cemetery before the family relased the balloons, the mother said, "Let's let go of him so he can rest." Suddenly as I moved the camera up, the Seattle clouds finally let up and these brillant colorful balloons filled the camera screen. The mother yelled, "Look, look....a feather..a feather is up there. I pulled my eyes alway from the monitor to discover, she was right a red feather was floating down passing the balloons by.

The mother screamed, "YES!" You see, when their son passed away, red feathers started to show up everywhere. Those were their son's favorite, feathers. So was it a miracle or a coincidence? It doesn't matter...that mother had a smile, then cried...and that's all that matters....peace."
- GP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home