professional spectator

(eye of the beholder by MescalineBanana)
Lately, my current fantasy has begun with the "What if..." question.
What if I wasn't a filmmaker? What if 10 years ago, I chose to move to New York vs. LA?
What the heck would I be doing?
Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and I'm loving the city of LA more and more every day- the amazing opportunities we've been privileged to pursue , the dope ass people we've met, the little bits of the process that constantly help me grow as an individual and being confident that this line of work is truly my calling...
On my mom's side of the family, career professions range from a lineage of chemists, teachers, musicians, photographers, community organizers, sociologists, activists, and small business owners (yes, my family is sooo dope.) And I like to think that my current profession combines all of the above.
But seriously, what if?
For a minute back in the day, I fantasized about the world of politics. That fantasy was shot when I realized how much I'm truly allergic to bullshit. So then I thought, "Hmm...what if I was a puppet master to a politician?" In my brief stints as pseudo-puppet masters during my tenure within my last jobs, I also recognized the emptiness I felt when someone was reading the words I wrote in their speech or when someone really claimed my idea as their own. Not my cup of tea. (run on sentence, i know.)
Seriously, there are so many different professions that I wouldn't mind attempting- it's ridiculous. Of course the grass is always greener, but what if i was
- a pilot
- a lab assistant experimenting vaccinations for HIV/AIDS
- a governor of a small city on a small island off of Fiji
- a product designer
- a fisherwoman
- a ferry boat conductor
...to be honest, in addition to filmmaking, I think my true calling is as a professional chill'er. pay me to chill for you!
jeez, i sound like a college freshman who can't decide on their major.
back to reality.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home