Tuesday, October 03, 2006

the M, the N (word), and zo's show

the M:

Millie aka Amelia celebrating her bday.
i haven't been out on a monday night for quite a while...but for miss millza, i decided to not be as flaky (as I usually am when it comes to social events.)

GOOD TIMES though.

The N word



Last week KS spoke on a panel about the N word.

I can't even count how many panels I've been to addressing the use/misuse/historical context of the N word. Truthfully, the topic of conversation is very much played out to me. But, if there are communities all around the U.S. who feel the need and importance of addressing the issue, then obviously, there are still folks who need to be edu-mi-cated on the topic. What was unique about this panel was the audience was a majority of middle school and high school students and the students were far from shy of sharing their opinions...

"You can only use the word IF you're Black..."
"It depends on the context in which the word is used..."
"We've flipped the word- it was a deameaning word and now we use it in an empowering way..."
"The word shouldn't be used at all...when you say it, your actions are telling people around you (black and non-black) that it's okay to use the word..."

These were just the surface of opinions shared amongst the students at the school. Of course, a majority of the adults and educators in the room held a different opinion than most of the students. What I was annoyed about is the tone in which the educators used as they shared their opinions. They weren't speaking the same language or even trying to understand where the students were coming from. It's somewhat of an ignorant opinion on my part, but when educators begin to speak to their students in a condescending way, I feel that the content of what the educator is attempting to share is less valid. I understand how difficult being an educator can be, however, if this is one's choice of a career, then part of the job is being able to find innovative ways in which to dispurse shared information.

i.e. At one point in the forum, a principal from another school came up to the mic to share her opinion. She was obviously frusterated with some of the opinions being given by the panelists and the students. This is how she began her words, "Scientists are now finding out that the human brain doesn't fully develop until a person is 25 years old. I'm 29, so my brain is developed and I understand this topic a little better than most of you students. Hopefully, when you all get older, you'll understand to."

I kid you not, this is what the woman said. It was funny watching the reactions of the student b/c as soon as the woman's condescending tone kicked in, she lost the attention of most of the audience...which was understandable.

How is the faculty and staff of the school going to create an open forum for the students to talk about the topic, and then become hyper critical of the student's opinion?

anyhoo...i could keep going. but, i won't. it's played out, i know.

in other news...
Zo's Show


"The kids are growing up so fast..." :) So, Brooklyn was blessed last week to have a showing of Mr. Slade's black and white photography. Congrats Congrats and Saludos though homie!

blah, blah, blahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home